Tuesday 6 August 2013

Day 106 : Foot Pain

3rd August 2013
Mile 1456 to mile 1484 : Mt Shasta Lookout to Non-descript Logging rd
Mileage : 28

Average mileage since day 101 : 24.8

Today we were lucky in that passed out of the logging zone and had protection from the sun for most of the day except the morning when the trail hugged an exposed ridgeline. The exposed nature of the trail in this section motivated me to get it over and done before it got too hot. My high calorie intake in the morning means i can stave of the hiker hunger for the first 2 to 3 hours of a standard hiking day, but after that my body knows it is time to eat. I didn't want to break and then return to the exposed ridgeline so decided to push through the hunger and get off the ridgeline and down into the forests before. My stomach was literally screeming at me when i finally stopped 12 miles into the day at a small stream to have lunch. T-Rex and and Rocky were just ahead of me, but Slosh was nowhere to be seen. He had decided to push on another 8 miles downhill to a nearby river in order to do some fishing. After a hiker box surprise lunch of home-made mac n cheese courtesy of the hiker box in Old Station, I continued another 8 miles down to the river for a quick dip before ending the day with an unwelcome 6 mile climb. Thoroughly knackered, i reached the summit in a darkening forest, and camped along with Rocky and T-Rex on a former, and now overgrown, logging road right on the ridgeline itself. We were anxious to get an early night in order to get to town at a reasonable time the next day, so i decided against having a hot meal and instead made up my evening calorie count with a snack food food. This turned out to be a mistake.

1 comment:

  1. You're clearly making up the miles now Patrick but I can't wait to read about your new boots.

    ReplyDelete