Friday 16 August 2013

Day 108 : Shasta City



7th August 2013
No miles
Mileage : 0

Average mileage since day 101 : 21.4

Today was another unexpected zero, but it was definitely worth it. The day started off well as Rocky, T-Rex and I had good intentions to get our chores done and then head back out to the trail by the end of the day. After a leisurely breakfast with the other two I set off to find the library and get my blogging done. I went to the library via the post office where I intended to pick up a box from Sophie and my insoles which I had ordered online from Drakesbad. Unfortunately try insoles weren't there, but I did manage to pick up my box of treats from Sophie, and it was great. Sophie sets the bar high when it comes to care packages, and didn't disappoint this time around with mini sausisson, fruit purées and olives among other treats. I was told to come back later to check whether or not my insoles would arrive with the last shipment of post to arrive toward the end of the day. I whiled away the time at the library updating my blog and doing Internet chores, and realized only too late that I had lost track of the time and that the post office had closed, oh dear. I had arranged with the others to head back to the trail that evening, and after resupplying at speed wandered back through town to find them. When I finally tracked them down I discovered them making friends with Dan sat in is incredibly hippyish van. Shasta City is full of young hipster types, and modern hippies, and Dan and his girlfriend Ivanna, two incredibly wonderful and hospitable people, fit right right in as they seemed to have merged the best traits of both the aforementioned groups. The pair of them proved to be terrific company, and us 3 hikers decided we would spend the evening in town rather than returning to the trail, as we we all enjoying ourselves to contemplate hitching, especially after a couple beers. A few hours of good conversation later, Dan drove us in the back of his psychedelic van to a quiet camping spot on the outskirts of town where we camped, as none of us wanted to spend money on accommodation if we didn't have to, especially as it would have probably meant returning to the extremely dank and dingy motel at which we had stayed the previous night. Full after one of the better meals I have eaten at a trail town, and sleepy after a couple beers, I was asleep in no time resolving with Rocky and T-Rex to make it a relatively early start the next morning and get out of town befo getting to distracted again by people like Dan and Ivanna. It was not to be.

1 comment:

  1. I reckon you three were a gem of a find - good company & conversation for Dan and Ivanna, just as much as they were for you guys.

    ReplyDelete