Friday 19 April 2013

D - 3 : Final chores

I woke up this morning at about 7am, as my jet lag won't keep me asleep any longer than that. I am staying with Kathryn and Nick, who have been kind enough to put me up for two nights while I get over jet lag and do my last chores. I am so glad I didnt have to stay in a hostel for those first few nights, I've had nightmares where all my stuff gets nicked in a hostel so am very grateful to have been able to stay with Kathryn and Nick.

Today I managed to get 1 of the last 3 bits of kit that I didnt get as part of my planning. I am still missing  a sleeping pad and camp flip flops but am now the proud owner of a new set of Leki hiking poles. Hiking poles are a crucial bit of kit for me, as they will definitely give me extra power on ascents, and help take the shock off my knees on descents. One of my hiking poles will also double as a tent pole, saving some weight. I was a bit surprised at the price, 115 dollars, more than I wanted to spend, but there was no way around it really.

Apart from the final bits of missing equipment, the other stuff I had to buy today was stuff like painkillers, suncream etc which I thought would be cheaper here than in France. I also had to buy a new phone, as it turns out my french mobile doesnt work here, so I've had to invest in a new cheapy phone that I'll use for emergency calls and the like.

I had hoped to have a few hours free to explore downtown San Diego, and perhaps go to the beach, but it doesn't look like I'll have time in the end, which is unfortunate, but I knew before I arrived I wouldnt be able to do much sightseeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment