Wednesday 24 April 2013

Day 2 : the first aches and pains

21st April 2013
Mile 20 to mile 37 : Lake Morena to Long Creek
Today's mileage : 17 miles.
Today began well enough, my alarm want off just after 6am and 40 minutes later i was on the trail. The aim today was to to get to a campsite at mile 36, and do as many of those miles as early as possible. As i set off i could feel all the aches and pains resulting from the ordeal that was yesterday. My main complaint is chafing on my hips caused my belt, so i discarded it and taped over the sore bits. I also have two liner blisters that got the tape treatment, it really is wondrous stuff leukotape.
Ancient Americian Indian grindingg stones near mile 26 just after Burnt Oak Campground
The first 6 miles were gorgeous, i was fresh and fullbof energy, and the sun was still low makinfor perfect hiking conditions. 2 hours later they were done. I was feeling pretty confident after that but unfortunately it all went downhill from there, or rather uphill. The next 10 miles went up up and up, at the same time it got hotter and hotter. Thankfully halfway there was a rest spot by a small stream, but alas no shade.

Lunch by a beautiful stream but in the full glare of the midday sun. On the left is Alan and on the right Minow.
After spending too long by the steam i pushed on, determined to get the miles done, but the heat was almost too much. I finally made it to the shade that i knew was waiting me and mile 36 and collapsed in a heap, too knackered to do much of anything. What i'm finding most difficult about the heat is not the water, although hat is a problem, rather the lack of electrolytes. I am losing all the vital salts and cqn't replace them fast enough leaving me peeing buckets but still feeling dehydrated and weak. At Mt Laguna tomorrow i'm going to try and get hold.of some salt additives for water but i'm not hopeful. I spent 2 hours recovering fRom he hot section, ate.my dinner early to give me some energy and decided to push on one more mile to a water source. During this last mile my left ankle started to hurt, and i'm worried about it. I had thought it would be my knees that give me problems, i've taped it up and am hoping that the rest tonight and the relatively easy day tomorrow should sort it out.

1 comment:

  1. Did you have a paddle in the stream? It looks like a good stream for paddling...

    Plus it reminds me of Winnie-the-Pooh's wisdom and what seems to be rather fitting for you right now: "Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."

    ReplyDelete