Monday 29 April 2013

Day 8 : Zero at ADZPCTKO

27th April 2013
Zero Day
Mileage : Zero!

Today was the first full zero I've taken on the trail, and it what good. I slept in to a 7:30, it really is impossible to sleep any later when the sun comes up so 7:30 is as late as I can sleep in. Given that I get up early, I can't really stay up late anymore. On the advice of the Portlanders I tried seom Hawaiin beer, which was ok, but only got through 2 bottles before I couldn't keep my eyes open, ever the party animal it would appear.

The morning saw the christening of Ben and Thyra of the Portlander trio. Ben is extremely ginger and very nearly became Red Squirrel, however it morphed quickly to Rocky, which is slightly ironic given in terms of body shape he is the very anthesis of the Sly Rocky. Thyra acquired the name Just Geo in a roundabout way. Someone remarked in the group that it would be nice to know more about the wildlife, history and geology of the places we're passing through on the train, Thyra coming from Oregon informed everyone she sould be able to teach us about the geology of the Cascades but nothing more, hence Just Geo. This just leaves Kat and Angela without trail names.

The last thing on the schedule today was a photo of the class of 2013. The first picture of which is on the previous page, ten points if you can spot me. A better and more offical picture will be uploaded sometime in the near future.

3 comments:

  1. "I slept in to 7:30" - I love that. Remember what a grumpy old badger you would be before if you ever had to wake up before 8:30? Times they are a-changin'... And also who are you kidding - 2 beers was also always your limit before...

    I have to say I'm quite glad that nobody else became Red Squirrel - I think that might have been a usurpation that I would have found hard to handle.

    Speaking of photos, will some of the new photos include photos of Mascot Monkey? I fear that he is either squashed at the bottom of your bag unable to see the sunshine and beautiful countryside (fyi he should really be strapped to the top of your bag so he can see what's going on) or worse, that you have confined him to your bounce box - noooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up on your 8 days of trekking has proven to be the perfect antidote to a Monday morning in the City. After my sweaty commute, and the hour I've now sat in the office gazing longingly at the beautiful sunshine and blue skies outside, it provided some super escapism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to more photos. Its reassuring to know that the aches ands pains are likely to subside as your body toughens up. Its easy to forget that fitness in your context means more than just cardio fitness.

    ReplyDelete