Friday 3 May 2013

Day 9 : Back to the trail

28th April 2013
Mile 109.5 to mile 115 : Warner Springs to Agua Caliente creek
Mileage : 5.5
Today i took it easy. The day started with a sort of organised panic as everyone tried to find rides back to wherever. I ended up getting a ride back to Warner Springs with Paul and Dee, a middle aged couple doing research this year for an attempt next year. I arrived at the Warner Springs community centre too late in the morning to start hiking, the outside thermometer showed about 32 degrees in the shade, and April isn't even over yet. I spent most of the afternoon updating my blog on the ancient computers before gettin ready to start hiking around 4:30pm. As i went out i said thanks and bye to the elderly couple running the place, the man replied with an English accent, this was not expecting. I didn't get his name but move across to California in 1967 and set up several now (apparently) thriving cricket clubs, the world gets smaller by the day.
I headed back to the trail late.in he afternoon with a plan to do only 5.5miles to set.up for a climb early tomorrow. I could have done more but have  resolved to force myself to do only 10-12 miles as i wait for the others to catch me and rest my ankles. I am happy to report that they are much improved  , however the same cannot be said for my achilles tendons and/or my calf muscle. It has been sore he last couple days and is not improving, i hope i haven't got tendonitis, if i have it is ny own fault for going too far too fast. I am to do lots and lots of stretching in the next few days as i slowly make my way to Idyllwild.
Back under the desert sun after RnR at Kick Off

I wish all desert water sources looked like this...


...unfortunately this is more typical

Leaving Warner Springs


Leaving Warner Springs : Huck Finn contemplating continuing up the trail on horseback

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your taking all advice to heart (and to heel) from Physio Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're looking so tanned! Can you imagine what a disastrous mess of sunburn I would be at this point? Either that or you would only have reached Eagle Rock by now because of all the sunscreen breaks you woulld have had to have taken. Speaking of which, I hope you do have a good stash of sunscreen still with you :)

    ReplyDelete