Wednesday 15 May 2013

Day 25 : McCalories

14th May 2013
Mile 326 to mile 342 : Silverwood Lake to Cajon Pass
Mileage : 16 + 2
This morning I was up and moving before 5:30, I knew it would be another hot day so wanted to get an early start and do the first climbs in the cool of the morning. I ended up leaving Jason, Mr Green and Kat behind at the campsite knowing that they would catch me up pretty quickly owing to my injury du jour which is my achilles tendon. My achilles tendon has been hurting for a hile now but I did think it was on the mend until yesterday when it really started causing me discomfort and pain for the first time. Not a good sign. Along with the repetitive stress and strain it is having to deal with I think it also does not like the heat, so will be glad tomorrow when we're back up at higher elevations,a lthough the climb out is going to be unpleasant. I've also been wondering whether or not my footwear could be causing part of my achilles issues. The footwear I've been using thus far has been running shoes, and I they are wearing through fast, infact the tread on one of them is already almost gone after only 350 miles, not very impressive. I will be picking up new trail runners when I get to Agua Dulce in 100 miles time, so hopefully they and my achilles hold out til then. The weather was actually cooler than yesterday, thanks to high cloud cover and a cooling wind, so the miles came and went fairly quickly as I made my way towards today's destination : Cajon Pass, the symbolic end to Section C. As well as playing host to he PCT, Cajon Pass is also a service station situated on the old Route 66and includes among other fast food places; Mcdonalds. Although not usually a massive fan, the cheap calories make it worth the half mile detour. He winner today was.Cuddles the cellist who tallied over 5000 calories.
I know horses add an extra logistical challenge to hiking the PCT, but I cant help thinking it is cheating
Sign postings are important : the most important being the PCT trail signs, information signs, and McDoncald's signs! McCalories here I come!
 

4 comments:

  1. I hope you haven't lost your other pole, you don't want to get lopsided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pad, the beard is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are getting so skinny - the difference between you and that hiking pole is negligible! Eat more McDonalds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but notice that nourishing veggies when you have the opportunity to stock up haven't been featured as enthusiastically as burgers...

    ReplyDelete