Thursday 9 May 2013

Day 17 : The trail giveth and the trail taketh away

6th May 2013
Mile 210.5 to mile 218.5 : Ziggy and the bear to the Whitewater preserve
Mileage : 8 + .5
I am constantly being amazed by what the trail provides. On the first day i decided i didn't like my cloth sun hat, it would get wet with sweat and was not well ventilated, and i knew even on the first day i wanted a new one. During the first evening i remember talking about kit with other hikers and made my comment about my hat. Nothin more was said then, but at camp the next day Minow handed me strawhat, winner! Unfortunately my new hat only lasted 100 miles or so as it was literally blown apart on the approach into Idyllwild, so i was back to being hatless, but not for long. Thatch, a former thru hikers and current section hiker said he could get one for me and would leave it at ziggy and the bear's, so i am back to having a hat. Apart from my hat issues, the only other kit related issue i've had has been with my smartphone case, and a micro sd to usb adapter which fell out of my pocket sometime during the descent off mt san jacinto. When i realised i was more than a little annoyed, but again the trail came to my rescue. I was in the process of buying a new adapter online when someone asked "has anyone lost this case and adapter?" The trail provides.
My feet hurt so much last night i couldn't sleep, and weren't much better in the morning so decided to have an easy day today. I also caught up with Jason, Kat and Mr Green when i arrived last night, and will be hiking with them for a while so we all left ziggybear's at the beginning of he afternoon with the aim of camping at the whitewater trout preserve resting up for the big climb he next day.
Me with Billy Goat. Billy Goat is a hiker with over 10,000 miles of hiking experience as is somewhat of a legend among thru-hikers.
Section C begins

 

2 comments:

  1. Your guardian angel is clearly watching over you and your belongings Paddy. We had a similar experience on the Camino when Jim lost the yellow t-shirt he had been tying on his head so that it also covered the back of his neck (ever the fashion freak as you know) 24 hours later the yellow t-shirt trekked past us on top of someone's rucksack while we were resting our feet and enjoying the view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you're thinking in that photo with Billy Goat... You're using him as inspiration... Beard inspiration...

    ReplyDelete