Friday 3 May 2013

Day 13 : The San Jacinto Mountains

2nd May 2013
Mile 161 to mile 178 : Windy campsite to Tahquitz summit
Mileage : 17 + 2
My days thus far usually start well as i enjoy the cool of the morning and take advantage of my body being relatively fresh, and end less well as the heat sets in and everything starts to hurt. Today was the opposite. I didn't really wake up as i had been awake for hours dozing fitfully as the wind succeeded in keeping me wide awake. I put off getting up for as long as i could but finally started moving around 7am. I broke several of cardinal hiking rules as i tried to get moving and warm up : i didn't change out of my sleeping clothes, i didn't have anything for breakfast, and  i started hiking with my down jacket on. All of these are big no nos when hiking, but i was so cold i couldn't function and knew hiking was the fastest way to warm up.

The trail through this section essentially hugs the top of the mountains along exposed ridgelines, meaning there is no respite from either the sun or the wind. I refilled on water at fobes saddle taking everything i needed to get to Idyllwild the next day. An hour after that the wind died, and the views got better and better. It's at times like this where i wish i had a better camera, try as i might i just couldn't get a shot to do justice to the scenery. The San Jacintos essentially divide this section of southern California into pine forest or desert depending on which side you're on. The separation was evident in the extreme, from the ridge i could see down to pine trees just below on my left, and cactus just below me on my right, weird. The day ended with me camping on the summit of mt Tahquitz right at the old fire watchtower. I know i've been saying this a lot but the views from up here were simply out of this world, i hope the photos at least go someday to showing just how amazing it was. I munched the corn and bacon stew that i'd found in the hiker box the day before and passed out.
My camera cannot do these views justics, but this is me overlooking Palm Springs.

Number 2 demonstrating the typical width of the trail in this section

A room with a view

I camped right at the top of this shadow cast by Mt Tahquitz!

The ominously named Suicide Rock

Alas my straw hat did not survive the gale force winds of the San Jacintos

3 comments:

  1. Pat, your pictures look awesome! What a cool challenge, goood luck and I look forward to following your progress :-)

    Dan Kilsby

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo showing the width of the trail is very cool - especially with the hiker on it to give it some perspective. And the sky is so beautifully blue.
    But poor hat! Can't you find yourself some straw and in one of your afternoon shade-sheltering sessions reweave it? Seems such a shame to leave a trusty old friend like that behind...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hat looks authentic now!

    ReplyDelete