Friday 3 May 2013

Day 10 : Equipment

29th April 2013
Mile 115 to mile 129 : Agua Caliente creek to stunning view campsite
Mileage : 14
I have several bits of kit that i'm in love with. First up : my hiking poles. I know i've already said that i'm liking them but today they really came into their own helping keep my various ankle aches and pains under control. Next up are my Dirty Girl gaiters : today was my first full day wearing them and i like them very much. They are extremely light and airy and therefore don't add much to my weight or cause my feet to overheat. They are also doing their job fine just fine meaning i haven't had to stop and pick stuff out of my shoes all day. Last up is a golite umbrella that a girl called Shotput lent me til Idyllwild : i was extremely sceptical about this previously but am now a convert. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to rig it to y rucksack but after that it kept my whole upper body out of the direct sun. It made t possible to hike ibm he midday sun in relive ease, so I am seriously going to consider getting one when i get to Cabazon where i hear there is an hiking shop that stocks them.
Today was a relatively short day today clocking only 14miles, i couldbhave done more but i need to take utter easy and give my ankles a chance to sort themselves out. Both are holding, and slowly improving, but it might be a while til they are back on top form. I spent much of the afternoon at Hiker Mike's, a trail anger who lives right on the trail at mile 127, but given it us on the trail it is in the middle of absolutely nowhere, what he does to get by out here i have no idea, he wasn't even there but leaves the place open for hikers during the season. Even with my new umbrella it was a welcome break, and there were even cold soft drinks and beers! I, along with several other hikers i've met in the last 2 days; Acid glasses, Texas Chris, Shotput, Emma, Alex and Travis waited out heat of the afternoon reaquainting ourselves with coke-cola and bud as mostly all i drink all day everyday is water, water and more water, and sometimes water with salts in it. Most of the talk during that afternoon revolved around the almost legendary Paradise Cafe at mile 152 and its even more legendary Jose Burger. The general opinion is that they are the best burgers anywhere in he trail, quite a claim in my view given the trains over four thousand kilometres long. Anyway, i shall have my great Britain menu judging hat in when i other and critique it accordingly. As 6pm approached i made my exit and continued 2 miles up the trail to a small campsite on a saddle.looking back towards Mike's and on toward the San Jacinto mountains. I am trying to stop myself taking so many landscape photos, especially given my little point and shoot camera struggles to do the views justice, but it is difficult to resist taking so many when they are this impressive.
Unexpected Trail Magic at Hiker Mike's
So close and yet so far!

3 comments:

  1. We all need a pici of you under your parasol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes definitely need a picture of you under the umbrella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umrella, umbrella, umbrella

    ReplyDelete