Sunday 28 April 2013

Day 6 : Eagle Rock

25th April 2013
Mile 91.5 to mile 106.5 : Third gate cache to Eagle Rock
Mileage : 15

Today I reached the symbolic end of Section A of the PCT at Eagle Rock, just before Warner Springs.
 I got up early and still tired from the previous day's nighthike. The 10 miles remains flew by pretty quickly and before long I reached the 100mile marker, wooooooo!!! Unfortunately you will all have to wait a few more days for pictures as my micro-sd to usb adapter is no more. A devised a cunning and foxlike way to attach my camera to my shoulder strap so's my camera is always close to hand, but the adaptor was inside the case and must have fallen out somewhere and I won't get a new one until Idyllwild in a few days time. Just after the 100 Mile marker I arrived at Barrel Spring, the end of the dry stretch and was looking forward to getting some sleep in some shade before pushing on in the afternoon. It was at Barrel Springs where I acquired a trail name of my own. A girl about my age struck up a conversation with me while we filtered water and once discovering where I was from asked : 'Are people from Manchester called Manchurians?' I wish I could say she was being facetious but unfortunately I don't think she was. Redtop, who the guy hiking with vodka, grinned at me and decided that my name should be The Manchurian, and it has stuck far. I'm glad I at least avoid Sirtripsalot which was given out yesterday. I slept until after 4pm and then headed out to Eagle Rock at 106.5. On the way to Eagle Rock the scenery changed dramatically, the climb the day before had been desert mountains, whereas the approach to Warner Springs saw me passing through open fields full of cows out to pasture, the scenery changes here almost with every mile. I took it slow getting to Eagle Rock and arrived just after 6pm. Eagle Rock is a rock formation in the middle of a field that actually does look like a Eagle, it's incredible! It faces east meaning I couldn't get any good pictures of it as the evening sun was right behind it, I decided that pictures were important and thus stopped for the night so's I could get a good picture in the morning.

100 Miles!!!

It really does look like an eagle!

It's possible I have my eyes closed in this shot, doh!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! 100 miles! So proud of you kiddo!
    Also so proud of you for picking your sleeping location based on where you would get good photos - those are the kind of priorities I can get on board with :)

    By the way when I first read "Sirtripsalot" I thought it was "Sirstripsalot", which would have been pretty racy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poops, you'll always be sir stripsalot to me buddy. Good blog do far mate, keep it up! It looks absolutely epic and I'm super cereal jealous! Tom

    ReplyDelete