Saturday 8 June 2013

Day 46 : An unexpected zero

4th June 2013
No miles
Mileage : 0
Everything about today was unexpected. I woke up after 3 hours sleep as hikers around me started moving out. I however, stayed put until the sun hit me and i heated up. When i got up though i discovered there was Trail Magic, provided by Yogi, Oaky Girl, Jackalope and her son Bear Bait. It was great. Fried eggs, pancakes and fresh humous replaced my packaged pastry and snickers that i usually have for breakfast, a very good start to the day. Next on the list of surprises was the discovery of Aloha. Toots and Tears are 2 days behind us, but Aloha seems to have taken a liking to team PRT and was at Walker Pass early to catch us. Having Aloha there means a trip to Nelda's Cafe in Lake Isabella was possible. Nelda's is known among the hiker community for having the best milkshakes on the trail, but i had put that out i my mind as it is 37 miles and a difficult hitch away from Walker Pass. Aloha, myself, Kat and Dishcloth, who had with arrived after me last night waited for Pan and Mr Green, who hadn't, before heading off. We were about 30 seconds away from leaving when the other two turned up. They would have been very disappointed had they missed out as the milkshakes did not disappoint, they were amazing intact. Many calories later we were all back at the campsite thinking about heading out but the power of PRT is strong and we didnt end up heading out. 2 things put paid to the hiking that evening. The first was the knowledge that the angels were providing dinner, and through second, having learned the first, were the beers. It turns out that there are a lot of calories in beer, so i didn't feel.too bad about snaffling a couple pretty quickly. They were only Coors Light but they were gooood and sent me straight to sleep when i got in my maggot as the sun was setting. I was determined to catch up on some of last nights sleep, and also to get up early to do some miles before the heat of the day tomorrow.
Oaky Girl on the left, me with my eyes closed, and Yogi on the right
From left to right : Me, Peter Pan, Kat, Dishcloth and Mr Green enjoying much needed milkshakes

3 comments:

  1. Where did you get those socks, where did you get those socks?



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are my gaiters! Didn't you have something similar when you did the Camino?

      Delete
    2. Patrick I did have some gaiters but needed the elastic when my undergarment failed and had no spares.

      Delete