Monday 2 September 2013

Day 124 : Mt Thielsen

21st August 2013
Mile 1837.5 to mile 1871 : Crater Lake Rim to Miller Lake trail

mileage : 33.5

Average mileage sic day 101 : 22.4

Camping on the rim of Crater Lake was worth the risk of it being mildly illeagal. It was simply stunning, the pictures, which I hope to uplaod soon, cannot even begin to do it justice. It rose directly across from me turning everything red and gold as it slowly rose into the sky. After just sitting and watching the lake for almost an hour watching the night slowly give way to day, I finally wrenched myself away and started the long, long trek down the north side of the crater with my heavy rucksack. It turned out that my 4 litres of waters of water that I'd decided to carry to get me across the day's 27 mile dry stretch were un-necessary, as there was a cache at the road bordering the northern side of the Crater Lake National Park. I'd heard from a south bounder not to depend on this cache, and so that's why i'd packed out so much water from Crater Lake, but I found the cache full meaning i didn't need to have carried all that water all that way from the lodge. I couldn't have known about the cache being full, so had taken the right decision to carry the water, but it was annoying anyway. The rest of the day passed quickly and before long I had managed almost 34 miles before the light forced my stop at the Miller Lake trail junction. I had taken a half day at Crater Lake yesterday but was still on course to get through Oregon in 17 day, assuming of course that the next few days would go as well as today.

1 comment:

  1. Your photos are magnificent Paddy, watching that sunrise must have been well worth the 'mildly illegal' camping.
    Did you see 'the old man of the lake' bobbing around anywhere?
    I read that a 9m tall, bleached white tree stump of hemlock has been bobbing vertically in Crater Lake for over 100 years. It's about 60cm in diameter at the water line and stands about 120cm above. Wiki says the exposed end of the floating tree is splintered and worn but wide and buoyant enough to support a person's weight, but not to be tried with 6 days food supply on your back.

    ReplyDelete