Saturday 28 September 2013

Day 141 : Mt Adams

7th September 2013
Mile n/a to mile 2356 : Trout Lake to the base of Mt Adams.
Mileage : 33

My hike in to Trout Lake was 18 miles downhill, my hike out was 15 miles uphill towards Mt Adams. The weather had cleared up overnight and i was treated to glorious sunshine, and stunning views of Mt Adams, as i hiked up the road towards the mountain. I was further treated to a slack pack, ie a hike with no rucksack, courtesy of Cuddles and Funsize, who had a car and had spotted me hiking past where they were staying. The kindly took my rucksack up to the trailhead and hid it in some bushes so i wouldn't have to hike with it. The last time i slack packed was over 1500 miles ago at Tehachapi, so i didn't feel bad about doing it here, especially as i was road walking. Several hours later i was back at the trail having completed my detour to Trout Lake having only lost one or two hiking hours, a small price to pay considering what I'd gotten from the town. It did mean that that i had to keep pushing hard in order to keep on schedule. The trail ascended the mountain on its west flank, before contourbig around it clockwise before heading down the north face of it. I set up camp by a small stream just before the descent and watched the lightshow of the sunset on the glaciated sides of Mt Adams, a good end to a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment