Monday 2 September 2013

Day 134 : The Eagle Creek Trail

31st August 2013 Mile 2120 to mile 2153 : Sandy River to Cascade Locks Mileage 33 Average mileage since day 101 : Today I finished to Oregon section of the PCT completing the 450 miles of Oregon in 18 days for an average mileage of 25 miles per day, and that includes 2 zeros in Ashland! Most of the day was spent on a more scenic side trail called the Eagle Creek Trail, which is probably taken by 95% of hikers. The highlight of this side trail is the famous tunnel falls, as the name suggests is a waterfall behind which the trail passes. The downside of this side trail was unfortunately it was very rocky underfoot, and that took its toll on my feet and my time. Before long though I had made it to a carpark at the trailhead just as the light was fading. To get to the actual town of Cascade Locks I still had a 2 mile road walk to do, and I didn't feel up to it that night, so I yogied a ride from Bob whom I met at the trailhead and a few minutes later I was back standing on the road trying to figure out how to get the house of the local trail angel Shrek. Thankfully it wasn't too difficult to find and soon enough I was sitting in a local brewery having pizza and beer with Fink, Israh and Astrid celebrating being done with Oregon. As thru-hikers we were able to 'party' up to hiker midnight at 9pm after which point heads were starting to nod and we headed back round the corner to Shrek's Swamp where we all passed out at speed as only thru-hikers can.

1 comment: