Monday 2 September 2013

Day 126 : Shelter Cove

23rd August 2013
Mile 1912 to mile 1934 : Shelter Cove to Another Burn Zone
Mileage : 22 + 2

Average mileage since day 101

I could have slept for a week after my ordeal in the cold and rain yesterday, but unfortunately the store owner ensured it was not to be. I packed up my stuff and tucked into a breakfast of coffee and icecream. Almost 2 litres of icecream to be precise. I decided to stay at Shelter Cove for as long as it took for me to eat it all, and it took me all morning. If there is one thing to say about Shelter Cove it is that they know how to take money off hikers. All credit too them as I understand that they need to make a living, but I felt violated paying a dollar and a half for a 3 minute shower, which is about as much time as it takes to fully clean one of my toes. The storm had either petered out during the night or had moved elsewhere, and so in the morning the hikers came out of the woodwork to enjoy a glorious morning relaxing on the porch of the store. The big attraction for me in coming to Shelter Cove was a care package sent to me by Sophie. I loved everything in it, and most of all the cryptic crosswords. I spent the morning eating icecream and wiping the rust off my crosswording skills and by midday was ready to leave. The afternoon was spent getting 20 miles done in order to keep to my schedule and be sure of not running of food. This afternoon, I caught up with Jess, whose parents are very kindly going to put me up in September as I get off trail for 10 days. Jess had had a bit of trail magic the night before thanks to a family friend, and had stayed in a ski resort (at least I think it is anyway) just up the road from Shelter Cove. I was envious of her sleeping in a night comfy bed with more than one toe clean, and had I have known whe was there, she would have no doubt offered me floor space, but I was happy enough being out of the cold last night and didn't begrudge her good fortune. Trail Magic has funny ups and downs all the time, and it is almost as fun listening to other hikers's experiences with trail magic as it is experiencing it yourself. I considered hiking with Jess for a little while, but it would have made my schedule difficult to keep so I headed on up the trail and ended up camping in yet another burn zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment