Tuesday 8 October 2013

Day 160 : The road walk begins

7th October 2013
Rainy Pass to Winthrop
mileage : 35

Today i started the 225 mile hike from Rainy Pass to Snoqualamie Pass. My alarm went off just after 6am and i gathered what i needed for the day before jumping in he car for the ride up to the pass. My ride today was thanks to Teresa, a local trail angel who has been living in Winthrop for a few years now and has been acting as an angel for some time. After a quick stop at the local coffee shop we were climbing up into the mountains once again. I was deposited safe and sound at the top of the pass and after having thanked Teresa profusely for her kindness started along the the road back towards Winthrop. Although i easy on the road and not the trail, it felt great to be hiking once again, and finally on my way toward the finish line. Since making my decision to continue the hike my morale has had a huge boost. Unfortunately i won't be finishing the hike as i had originally anticipated, but at least i would finish on my own terms, and crucially i would have my continuous Mexico to Canada thru-hike. It took 10 hours exactly to hike the 35 miles to Winthrop, and by the end of it my feet and and leg muscles were hot, tired and sore, yet i felt good. About 2 miles from the end i called out to a passing cyclist to ask him how far i still had to go, and to my surprise an english accented voice replied. The cyclist,whose name was Derek, was slowly touring round the Northwest on his bike and was doing a short day cycle up the road and back. His company helped distract me from the pain in my feet and we swapped stories for a while as we entered the town before having dinner together at a local Mexican restaurant where i went to fill.up on homemade guacamole among other tasty treats. After so many miles i was struggling to stay awake, and finally had to makey way back to the hostel and get some rest before  doing it all.again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment